This twix ice cream recipe consists of a dairy free coconut ice cream that's loaded with homemade twix candy bars. Unlike conventional Twix ice cream, this recipe is gluten free, dairy free, paleo friendly and easily made vegan.
Confession: I've actually never had "real" twix ice cream. You know, the kind you buy in the store that's loaded with artificial flavorings, colorings, thickeners and other highly processed ingredients. (Yuck!)
But, I remade my homemade twix bars to update the photos and thought ice cream was the perfect way to put them to use!
While this twix ice cream recipe is not lacking in sugar or sweetness, it is made with wholesome, real food ingredients. This healthier twix ice cream has a coconut base, is sweetened with honey (use maple syrup for a vegan swap) and is loaded with homemade twix candy bars.
Why You'll Love this Twix Ice Cream Recipe
- gluten free and grain free - the homemade twix candy bars are made without wheat flour
- dairy free - this is a coconut based twix ice cream
- paleo and vegan - made with real, whole food ingredients
- healthier than store bought - no corn syrup or artificial flavorings, no colorings or thickeners, no preservatives or seed oils
While this ice cream is for sure a treat, it's one you can indulge in and still maintain your health goals! Plus, it's a recipe the whole family will enjoy - no one will ever guess it's healthier.
Here's a list of what you need to make this recipe for twix ice cream:
- coconut cream
- almond butter
- honey (maple syrup for vegan)
- vanilla extract
- collagen peptides (omit for vegan)
- homemade twix bars
For this recipe, I used my homemade twix bars which are paleo and vegan friendly. You can use any twix recipe as a replacement.
Coconut cream or full fat coconut milk is used as the base for this ice cream. I don't have any recommended substitutions.
For the almond butter, I recommend a blanched, creamy almond butter (for color and texture purposes). I love using Barney butter. That being said, any type of almond butter will work.
I sweetened this dairy free ice cream with honey. Honey adds to the texture and flavor, but maple syrup would be an appropriate substitute.
Lastly, I added collagen to this ice cream in order to increase the protein content and add to the creaminess. You can leave out the collagen, but it will slightly change the ice cream texture.
How To Make Twix Ice Cream
You'll need a blender and an ice cream maker for this recipe. If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can still make this recipe by churning it by hand.
First, combine all of the ingredients (except the twix candy bars) in a blender. Blend, starting at a low speed and slowly increasing the speed until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Pour the ice cream into your ice cream maker and start churning.
Once the ice cream has started to thicken, add in the chopped twix candy bars. Continue churning the ice cream until it's quite thick (like frozen yogurt). It should stick to the mixing paddle, as shown below.
Once the ice cream is done, you can eat it immediately or scoop it into a loaf pan and freeze. This ice cream freezes well - it does not get icy or rock solid. Just let it defrost a couple minutes before scooping.
You can store the ice cream in the loaf pan, in the freezer. It does not have to be covered. The ice cream lasts well up to one month in the freezer.
More Healthier Ice Cream RecipesPrint
This healthier twix ice cream recipe is made with coconut cream and sweetened with honey. It's gluten free, dairy free, paleo and easily made vegan.
- Combine all of the ingredients (except the twix candy bars) in a blender. Blend, starting at a low speed and slowly increasing the speed until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the ice cream into your ice cream maker and start churning.
- Once the ice cream has started to thicken, add in the chopped twix candy bars. Continue churning the ice cream until it is quite thick (like frozen yogurt). It should stick to the mixing paddle.
- Once the ice cream is done, you can eat it immediately or scoop it into a loaf pan and freeze.
- Store the ice cream in the loaf pan, in the freezer. It does not have to be covered. Enjoy within one month.
Keywords: homemade twix ice cream, twix ice cream recipe, dairy free twix ice cream, gluten free twix ice cream, vegan twix ice cream, healthier twix ice cream