This healthy Blueberry Walnut Salad is perfect for a quick, simple side dish. It is made with organic butter lettuce, fresh blueberries, raw walnuts, avocado and chives. This is a refreshing summer salad, perfect for cookouts, at-home barbecues or relaxing family dinners on the porch.
Salads have always been one of my top quick, simple, go-to meals.
They are a classic healthy option. However, salads can be boring (and even unhealthy) if you don’t use the right ingredients.
What Makes a Salad Healthy?
I have a few “requirements” when it comes to salads that are actually healthy. It’s all about the ingredients. Here’s what I consider healthy:
- organic greens (lettuce, spinach, cabbage…)
- addition of healthy fats (nuts, seeds, avocado, oils)
- dressings low in sugar and without vegetable oils
- gluten free (no conventional croutons)
- variety (not always necessary, but add more nutrients)
This Blueberry Walnut Salad is the perfect example of what I consider a healthy salad option. It has organic ingredients, is gluten free, grain free, drizzled in heart healthy olive oil and contains nutritious toppings.
Ingredients in Healthy Blueberry Walnut Salad
Here’s what you need to make this salad:
- organic butter lettuce
- organic blueberries
- raw walnuts
- fresh, organic chives
- olive oil
If you haven’t tried butter lettuce, I urge you to do so. It’s by far my favorite lettuce out there. Organic is best, as greens are often heavily sprayed with pesticides.
The combination of butter lettuce with fresh blueberries, walnuts (THESE would be great too), avocado and chives creates a flavorful meal. Drizzle it all with olive oil and add a few squirts of freshly squeezed lemon and you’ve got yourself a delicious side salad!
What to Pair with Healthy Blueberry Walnut Salad
This recipe will make a full meal if you choose to pair it with some sort of protein. For instance, grilled chicken, chicken tenders, steak, salmon, ect.
More Paleo Salad Recipes
For more healthy, Paleo friendly salad ideas, check these out:
This healthy salad is a perfect summer side dish. Bursting with flavor from fresh blueberries, avocado, walnuts and chives, this salad is sure to please anyone.
- 1 head organic butter lettuce
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 large avocado, sliced
- 1 Tbsp freshly chopped chives
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- squeeze of lemon
- Wash butter lettuce leaves and pat dry with a towel (or use a salad spinner).
- Shred lettuce with your hands and place in a large serving bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil and lemon over lettuce. Mix with salad tongs until well coated.
- Add blueberries, walnuts, avocado and chives on top of lettuce.
- Serve immediately.
Keywords: side, Paleo, Vegan, Whole30, salad, lunch, dinner