This paleo chocolate chip mug cake is made with leftover almond pulp from the Almond Cow. It's an easy mug cake recipe that is moist, tender and ready in minutes - perfect for breakfast, an afternoon snack or after-dinner dessert.
Ah, mug cakes... you make my life easier!
I know some people hate microwave cakes, but I'll be honest, I LOVE them!
Mug cakes, like this paleo chocolate chip mug cake, make breakfast time simple and quick. Plus, my kids love them.
They're also great as an after-dinner treat. No need to bake a whole cake - just whip up some batter in a large mug or mini bowl, microwave and enjoy.
Healthy Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
Not only is this mug cake easy to make and delicious, but it's healthy too! Here's what you need to know:
- paleo friendly
- gluten and grain free: made with leftover almond pulp from the Almond Cow
- refined sugar free: this chocolate chip mug cake is made without brown sugar. Instead, it's sweetened with just a bit of maple syrup.
- dairy free: no milk or cream in this microwave cake
- great way to use up leftover almond pulp
Here's what you need to make this chocolate chip mug cake:
- almond pulp: I used day-old leftover almond pulp from the Almond Cow. Pulp from a nut milk bag should work too.
- egg: I have not tested an egg substitute for this recipe
- maple syrup: or any liquid sweetener
- vanilla extract
- tapioca flour: needed for texture
- coconut flour: I added just a little for texture purposes, but this ingredient can be left out.
- baking powder: I make my own paleo baking powder
- miniature chocolate chips: I love Pascha's miniature 100% dark chocolate chips
How to Make a Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
If you've ever made a mug cake then you know they're the easiest type of cake to make! This particular paleo mug cake is made in a small bowl (or large mug) and baked in the microwave. Here are the steps:
First, combine the almond pulp, egg, maple syrup, and vanilla in a microwaveable cup or bowl. Mix with a fork until well combined.
Next, add in the tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt and mini chocolate chips. Mix until well combined.
Let the batter sit for 2 minutes to thicken. Then, place the dish in the microwave and cook the cake (on high) for 1 minute 50 seconds.
After baking, let the cake sit for a few minutes to set.
And lastly, add your favorite toppings and eat!
Paleo Mug Cake Toppings
Some of my favorite paleo mug cake toppings include:
- coconut cream
- homemade coconut butter
- dark chocolate chips
- fresh or frozen fruit
- dye-free sprinkles
- chopped nuts
- nut or seed butter
- bee pollen
- maple butter
- chocolate honey
More Paleo Mug Cake Recipes
Looking for more easy paleo mug cake recipes? Check out these reader favorites:Print
This paleo chocolate chip mug cake is made with leftover almond pulp and baked in the microwave.
- Combine the almond pulp, egg, maples syrup, and vanilla in a microwaveable cup or bowl. Mix with a fork until well combined.
- Add in the tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt and mini chocolate chips. Mix until well combined.
- Let the batter sit for 2 minutes to thicken.
- Place the dish in the microwave and cook the cake (on high) for 1 minute 50 seconds.
- Cool a couple minutes then add your favorite toppings and eat.
*I used day old leftover almond pulp from making milk in the Almond Cow
Keywords: chocolate chip mug cake, paleo mug cake recipe, almond pulp recipe, almond pulp mug cake, paleo chocolate chip mug cake, healthy mug cake recipe, dairy free mug cake, gluten free mug cake, low sugar mug cake recipe, microwave cake