Tigernut flour has quickly become one of my favorite baking flours. And these Vegan Tigernut Flour Pancakes are a must try - simple ingredients, delicious and easy to make. Plus, this tigernut pancake recipe is grain free, nut free, egg free, Paleo and Vegan!
I'll forever be adding to my collection of Paleo pancake recipes. There's just something about eating pancakes on the weekend that I love! So, I'm always experimenting with new flavors, textures and ingredients.
I went years and years without ever making pancakes because I thought they were so unhealthy. Well, yes, many pancakes ARE unhealthy. But, if you make your own from scratch they can be quite nutritious.
These simple Tigernut Flour Pancakes are what I'd considered healthy. They are:
- gluten free
- grain free
- Vegan friendly
- sweetened with maple syrup (no refined sugar)
- free of all top allergens (nut free, dairy free, egg free)
Not only that, but these pancakes are easy to make and kid friendly! All great qualities in my book.
Ingredients in Tigernut Flour Pancakes
These tigernut pancakes are made from a mixture of tigernut flour and tapioca flour. They are egg free, nut free, gluten free and dairy free - perfect for an allergy friendly breakfast.
Here's what you need:
- tigernut flour
- tapioca flour
- ground flax
- baking soda
- maple syrup
- avocado oil
- vanilla extract
What is Tigernut Flour?
If you're here, checking out this recipe, I assume you know what tigernut flour is. But, a quick review for anyone that doesn't...
Tigernut Flour is made from tigernuts - small root vegetables that are slightly sweet and nutty in flavor. Despite their name, tigernuts are NOT nuts. They can be ground into a fine flour, perfect for Paleo and Vegan baking since they are gluten free, grain free and dairy free.
I use various brands of tigernut flour, depending on what I have on hand. These particular pancakes are made with Anthony's Organic Tigernut Flour. However, I have also made them with Iya Foods Tigernut Flour. Both work great for this Paleo Vegan tigernut pancake recipe.
What Else Can You Use Tigernut Flour For?
Tigernut flour is great for so many baked goods! Especially if you are trying to eat grain free and gluten free.
Some of my favorite Vegan tigernut flour recipes include:
- Blueberry Tigernut Flour Muffins
- Pumpkin Tigernut Flour Bread
- Tigernut Flour Cookies
- Chocolate Tigernut Flour Waffles
How to Make Pancakes with Tigernut Flour
These Vegan tigernut flour pancake are made like any other Paleo pancake recipe.
First, combine the tigernut flour tapioca flour, ground flax, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Mix in the water, avocado oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Then, let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken. The batter is thick and sticky!
Preheat a frying pan on medium heat. Add a bit of oil (I like to use coconut oil when cooking pancakes), then scoop about ¼ cup of the pancake batter onto the frying pan. (You can cook more than one pancake at a time.) Cover the pancakes with a lid and cook on medium heat until the bottom is golden brown. Then flip and continue cooking until done.
Tips for Cooking Vegan Tigernut Pancakes
Here are some tips that I find useful when cooking these eggless tigernut flour pancakes:
- Preheat and lightly grease the frying pan before adding the pancake batter.
- Cover the pan with a lid when cooking the pancakes - this helps them cook more evenly.
- Be patient - these take longer to cook than some pancake recipes.
More Tigernut Flour Recipes
I love baking with tigernut flour. It is naturally sweet and has a nutty flavor. Because of my love for this Paleo baking flour, I have quite a few tigernut flour recipes on my site. Here are some favorites:
- Tigernut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Tigernut Flour Pumpkin Bars
- Mint Chocolate Chip Tigernut Flour Muffins
- Allergy Free Gingerbread Waffles
Paleo pancakes made with tigernut flour for a simple nut-free and egg-free breakfast.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine tigernut flour, tapioca flour, ground flax, baking soda and salt.
- Mix in water, maple syrup, avocado oil and vanilla extract.
- Let the batter sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- Grease frying pan with a bit of oil (I used coconut oil) and turn heat to medium.
- Scoop about ¼ cup batter onto frying pan, cover with a lid and cook on medium heat until the bottom is golden brown. Flip and cook until done**
- Repeat until no more batter remains.
Keywords: pancakes, nut free, vegan, allergy free, egg free, breakfast, tigernut flour recipes, vegan tigernut pancakes, tigernut flour pancakes, paleo pancakes, nut free egg free pancake recipe