Tigernut flour has quickly become one of my favorite baking flours. And these Tigernut Flour Pancakes are a must try – simple ingredients, delicious and easy to make. Plus, this tigernut pancake recipe is nut free, egg free, Paleo and can be made Vegan by substituting the honey for maple syrup.
I’ll forever be adding to my collection of pancake recipes. There’s just something about eating pancakes on the weekend that I love! So, I’m always experimenting with new flavors, textures and ingredients.
I went years and years without ever making pancakes because I thought they were so unhealthy. Well, yes, many pancakes ARE unhealthy. But, if you make your own from scratch they can be quite nutritious.
These simple Tigernut Flour Pancakes are what I’d considered healthy. They are:
- gluten free
- grain free
- sweetened with honey (no refined sugar)
- free of all top allergens (nut free, dairy free, egg free)
Not only that, but these pancakes are easy to make, oil free and kid friendly too! All great qualities in my book 🙂
Ingredients in Tigernut Flour Pancakes
These pancakes are made from a mixture of tigernut flour and tapioca flour. They are egg free, nut free, gluten free and dairy free – perfect for an allergy friendly breakfast.
Here’s what you need:
- tigernut flour
- tapioca flour
- ground flax
- honey (or maple syrup)
- baking soda
- chocolate chips (optional)
Instead of eggs, these pancakes are made with ground flax. Combining ground flax and water creates a gel-like substance that acts as a binding agent. Similar to that of eggs.
These tigernut pancakes are sweetened with honey, but maple syrup is a great alternative.
This pancake recipe will serve 1-2 people. It can easily be doubled to serve more.
The pancakes take longer to cook than your “average” pancake, but they’re worth the wait! And, if you prep the batter beforehand, then all you have to do is cook the pancakes in the morning. They work well for meal prep and are a great kid friendly pancake recipe.
More Tigernut Flour Recipes
I love baking with tigernut flour. It is naturally sweet and has a nutty flavor. Because of my love for this Paleo baking flour, I have quite a few tigernut flour recipes on my site. Here are some favorites:
- Tigernut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Tigernut Flour Pumpkin Bars
- Mint Chocolate Chip Tigernut Flour Muffins
- Allergy Free Gingerbread Waffles
Paleo pancakes made with tigernut flour for a simple nut-free and egg-free breakfast.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine ground flax with 1/4 cup water. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add honey and vanilla to flax mixture, stir well.
- Add all dry ingredients, mix well.
- Add water, mix well.
- Grease frying pan with coconut oil and turn heat to medium-low.
- Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto frying pan. Top with chocolate chips (optional), cover and cook until bubbles form* Flip pancake and cook about 1 minute more.
- Remove pancake from frying pan and repeat until batter is gone.
*These pancakes take longer to cook than your average pancake – have patience!
Keywords: pancakes, nut free, vegan, allergy free, egg free, breakfast